Sunday 5 June 2011

She Sells Sea Shells on the Sea Shore

I wouldn't say I was what one would call obsessive, but I found myself amazed at how sea shells on a beach could become so important in my world this past week!

We went on holiday to Wales this half term holiday and spent a lot of time on the beach.
A sandy beach.
A sandy shell covered beach.
A sandy shell covered beach that I could not take my eyes off.
A sandy shell covered beach that I could not take my eyes off and just had to pick up as many shells as I could type beach!
I was amazed at the pull that these shells had on me as I looked at one and
then another and then another and another....(I could go on...) and just wanted to take all of them individually and marvel at their individual beauty and amazingness (is that a word??No I thought not!). I NEEDED these shells!!!


Parts of the beach had shells dotted about here and there and then as the sea
receeded there were other parts of the beach that were absolutely covered with shells. And then I found up by the rocks near the edge of the beach hundreds upon hundreds of shells which had been washed up by the sea and looked as though they had been swept up against the rocks in piles! What an amazing sight! And all the while, as I spied these shells in varying degrees, there was me thinking to myself "Oh look! There's another one that looks amazing! I'll pick that one up!..Oh look! There's another gorgeous one!...."



Upon returning home and tipping the accumulated shells I was actually rather surprised that I hadn't collected as many as I had originally thought. But what amazed me as I sorted them out was that each one of them was so different from the one next to it, and so beautiful in its own right, even though on mass, it could just look just a collection of shells. Made me think of us~so beautiful and precious an
d all of us individuals!


So maybe not so much 'obsessive' but instead an compelling sense of the importance of marvelling at something so beautiful.

Have a great week all! xxx


1 comment: